Monday, November 07, 2005

This Hope is Not Cold

Since I found out about "post-rock" from friends a couple years ago, I've been completed hooked. Out of all the amazing bands in that genre, I had not yet seen Sigur Ros. That is, until September 24th. I'm truly lucky; seing a band from Japan one week, Mono, and then a week later, Sigur Ros from Iceland. They played at the State Theatre, which has crystal-clear acoustics. The fact that it's a theatre may have something to do with it. The string-section of Sigur Ros, Amina, opened the performance. Katie and I arrived a little late, and saw only half their set. What we did see, though, was beautiful. The four women played xylophones, keyboard, harpsicord, wine glasses, bells and even a laptop. Their sound reminded me a bit of Mum without vocals. Seeing as how they're all from Iceland, it's not surprising. We rushed through the crowd and purchased their EP, which has some songs we missed. I even ran into an old friend from middle school there.

We returned to our seats, anxiously awaiting for Sigur Ros. The curtain shrouded the band in white, and a slow drumbeat filled the theatre. After the first song, the curtain rose, and with it, the crowd's energy. Sigur Ros performed a flawless set, playing a few tunes off their gorgeous new album, Takk and a bunch off their previous releases. Of course, all of their music is gorgeous and breathtaking. Hearing it live caused the sound to rise to even more epic of proportions, in my eyes. They definitely rock out harder in concert than they do on disc. At one point, I thought the drummer was going to break the cymbals. He didn't, and the band played on. Jonsi's voice was spot-on, hitting those high notes exactly like on the albums.

We were captivated, teary-eyed and awestruck when the beauty ended. Birds flew arounded on the projection screen that served as the backdrop. My eyes split time between the screen and the band playing just flawlessly. I have a hard time believing they are human, and not just wonderful figments of a dream where the English language is silly and not needed, and there is noise erupting everywhere you turn. But, it's a calming noise, sweeping your emotions to the grandest of heights.

If they had played longer, I think I may have transcended all time and space, for they sound like pure energy. But they didn't. I stayed myself and they ended perfectly, calming the crowd with a slow shimmer after performing the last song off of their untitled album. Jonsi tore apart his bow. They came on for not one, but two, final bows. We cheered, applauded and stood there in the moment, relaxed and fulfilled. I was numb and silent on the way back home. Now that takes a lot, ask anybody who knows me.

No comments: