Monday, November 07, 2005

11; None More Higher!

Actually, not true with Mono. They are without a doubt the loudest band I've ever heard. Period.

This rings true (as my ears, even with earplugs in, can attest to) for the two bands I saw at The Triple Rock, on September 17, 2005. What a great way to celebrate a full moon, my grandma's birthday and Citizenship Day. No, my grandma didn't go, but if she did, she would have loved it....ok, probably not...

Anyway, current Temporary Residence Limited labelmate, Bellimi, began the evening. I can only say that they were quite loud. I couldn't understand the singer, as she mumbled into the mic more times than not. The drumming was varied, but the guitarist and bassist kept playing the same chord progression; this made for a decent but not-so amazing performance.

Mono came on next. I saw them at the 400 Bar this past spring/summer, and I was stunned beyond belief. I knew I was in for a treat, and they disappointed nothing at that show. This show, too, reflected their beautiful performance of crushing post-rock. The bassist stood center stage, a guitarist to her left and right, and the drummer behind. She swayed in one place, while the guitarists took turns between standing and sitting on a chair. Among the great things of this band: they have no instrument changes. No extra guitars or basses. The band ends each song with their heads collectively down, taking in the sounds like we did.

They are humbling to watch. No spectacular stage moves, except for a bit of head shaking and foot tapping. But hey, that's what I was doing during their songs (when I wasn't laughing and smiling wildly and widely, relatively). The guitar was louder than the drums, which I absolutely love. Their set was perfect and their music, patient Mono does not force the music; rather, it smoothly builds up, and erupts into a gigantic wall of noise that overwhelms the senses. I glanced at my friend and he gave me the look of 'yeah, I know, say no more.' The band didn't say anything either, letting their sounds display to the crowd, the addiction that is their music in full-effect. Definitely not in mono. More like loud, very loud, stereo. Ha. Like a black hole explosion, even though technically you cannot hear sound in space. But if you could, that's how you could describe the bombastic sound of Mono.

No comments: