Tuesday, November 01, 2005

7, 7 Awesome Bands...

Finally, back to reviewing shows! I'll start with a big one that happened all in the night of 9/16/2005....


This isn't gonna be a super-long review, as I've seen a total of 14 bands in the past week. Here's half of them, all in one venue but split into two phenomenal and ultimately tiring shows!

Phenomenal and Spasmic:

I arrived around 6 pm for the first band at the Triple Rock, The City On Film. To my surprise, the band actually started on time and I missed all but one of their songs. It was pretty good, basically indie-rock with low energy. Then came on the band with the very fun to say name, as it involves much inflection in their title: Thunderbirds Are Now! A very fun, indie-dance/electropop band from Detroit, this group had lots of stage theatrics. The keyboardist spasmed around stage, dancing wildly while hitting the tamborine with the impact of a jackhammer on concrete. So, a great set in all.

After was These Arms Are Snakes, which should have an exclamation point, I think, after their name. They're stage presence is hyper and intense mostly, with the frail singer screaming his head off one song, then the next dancing to a fast kick-drum beat, making the crowd clap their hands along to the infectious rhythm their sound becomes. They were very enjoyable to watch, especially when the singer stood atop a basic 4-legged folding table and then proceeded to throw the table and a blue plastic crate into the crowd after the song ended. What a nice way to end the set!

I found my friends in the crowd, and we waited patiently to see Minus The Bear. I saw this band at the Entry when Houston had their CD release party. Oh, what a sweet show that was indeed. This show was equivalent to that one; though I wasn't right in front this time around. Still, the sound was amazing, with Matt Bayle's voice ringing smooth all along the set. The guitar trade-offing between he and the other guitarist made for one fine show. This band loves to utilize guitar frets, and write entire progressions without the usual finger-picking or guitar-strumming. Their set was a decent mix of old and new tunes that satisfied the crowd immensely. I bought their newest CD, and I must say, it has a very clear sound. Very Minus The Bear, and quite gorgeous instrumentation overall. If you're a fan, pick it up. If not, become one!


Your Friends Are Always Right...

Ok, so Lee told me that the Haves Have It definitely do have it. I always wanted to check out their shows, and finally could when they played the later show with Lazer Forever and one of my local faves, Clair De Lune. I was floored by Lazer Forever and the Haves Have It. The drumming was all over the place, with as many changes in songs I haven't seen since I saw Architecture In Helsinki at the Turf Club this summer. It was the largest crowd for which The Haves Have It played, and they did it right from the start of their set. Very friendly and energetic at times, then step back a bit and let the instruments show off the wonderfully fresh and original sound they've composed.

Lazer Forever were unbelievable to watch as well, with each musician having a very fluid sense of comfort in every instrument they played. You can rock out to them, dance to them, tap your feet to them, pretty much anything. So, I have to thank Lee for telling me about these two bands...and many others that I should have been listening to a while ago! I'm catching up. Lastly, Clair De Lune was very good. I would have enjoyed them more had I not rocked and danced to 6 bands before them. Their new tunes were chaotic, with a lot more screaming and cymbal-smashing than their previous music. 7 hours after arriving, I left tired but appreciative of the wonderful music scene and venue the Twin Cities has.

No comments: