Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Minneapolis Via Bike

Yes, indeed. I took today's pleasant weather as a notice to go biking and explore Minneapolis some more. I grabbed my helmet, granola bar, long-sleeve t-shirt, banana, water bottle, reflector, helmet, backpack and headed out. I listened to the ridiculously-amazing Set Sail The Prairie by Kaddisfly. Their music and lyrics matched perfectly to the mood I wanted to set for the ride. I raced against the wind mostly but kept in high gear. The sun went down slowly as I rode the Hiawatha Greenway to Lake of the Isles. I never really went north of there before, so I decided to explore. I biked along Kenwood Parkway, briefly observing the huge houses, quiet but horribly-paved road and large amounts of green space. Kenwood took me all the way around to the Walker and Sculpture Garden.

After crossing the busy road, I biked to Loring Park, where I stopped at a bench for a banana, granola bar and plenty of water. I sat for about 10 minutes, just observing life coming alive in the park: teenagers doing sweet bike tricks on the skate ramp; elderly folk walking along the path; a lady watching the birds and wild squirrels; kids shooting hoops; students from MCTC getting out of class, chatting on cell phones. I thought about writing a poem or journaling since I did bring them with, but decided not to due to the impending sunset and subsequent lack of light. I put on my long-sleeve t-shirt, reflector and helmet, and rode home via Blaisdell to the Greenway and back. From www.mapmyride.com, I calculated that I biked about 12 miles. Not too bad for an hour's ride. I plan on doing more for sure. There's just way too much beautiful scenery and sights not to.

No comments: