Sunday, August 21, 2005

Upon Switching Courses, We Come To a Change of Heart

Damn, I really like that title I came up with, don't you? It sounds like something from post-rock, which is endearing and magnificant to me. This is a digress from politics (about time, huh?). Here's some poetry inspired by a great conversation and walk with a friend around the skirts of downtown St. Paul one fine evening:

'Meaning Aplenty'

the moon reflected off the window,
leading me to easily see my key
as I put it in the lock
and turned the door knob,
anxious to make it up those stairs
where she was there;

my love, who cares when I laugh or sob
over the littlest of affairs
because she knows I attain a passion
from the balance I maintain.

I just got back from a talk
with one of my best friends,
diving deeper than we had been for a while.
Around the city border we took a walk;
though his foot was injured
so we made our trek a slow pace for sure.

We discussed the things that mattered,
the things that made us smile, the things that gave us trouble
and how we've taken some of time for granted.
Indeed, things have changed for all of us
but we still keep in touch
and we do more than that, really,
so what is there to get upset about,
seriously?

Knowing how well we have it
compared to some of the world.
Even in this political climate,
I can harvest strength from these people
who took my view and left it askew
after only a couple of months
before the millenium came through.

To you,
I'll say thanks for everything.
I'll try to reciprocate
and not get lost
in searching for the meaning.

2 comments:

Katie said...

We should really walk around downtown St. Paul or I suppose even Minneapolis again. There are so many places that neither of us have really explored. I'm sure there are others that wouldn't mind acting like "tourists" either. Maybe in a couple weekends?

Tricia said...

I recommend Downtown St. Paul at 1 am. Parking by the Cathedral, and walking over to the capital building. It's wonderful!